Friday, April 2, 2010

The Secret - (to finding the time, reason and motivation to exercise).

I follow the teachings in The Secret, (see banners on this blog), I have mentioned it before, but I think that post has long gone!

In 'The Secret', we learn about success and self-development, via opening our minds and awakening to truth and reality. 'The Secret' teaches us about the Law of Attraction and having the right mental attitude.

Above all, for me, has been the understanding I have gained as to why I fail to keep to my exercise regime. You are guilty of this too, I know you are! Look, its not easy is it? You get busy, don't get time to go to the gym, or worse if like me, you exercise alone at home or possibly go out for a run, cycle etc.

Its not as hard if you are committed to a team-sport and have to attend practice sessions, it's slightly harder if you are in a more solitary activity that can be done alone, like Karate Kata's and moves can be practiced alone, tumbling, trampolining, running, cycling, rowing etc

Motivation.
So, how do you get motivated.. Think of it this way, if you don't exercise, your body will eventually break-down and fail.
Remember - You only have one body to take you through the whole of your life! You cannot get a new one, it cannot be easily repaired if it breaks or gets permanently damaged. Kidney failure, liver failure, heart failure, respiratory disorders and your immune system failure are all fitness related.

If you become unhealthy, slovenly, lacking in movement, low-fitness restricts blood-flow, causes aches and pains, muscle weakness. Not being able to run, lift and carry, bend. Play football with the kids, brings on early symptoms of old age (I believe), and so on. You know the price you'll surely pay! However, its not only lack of motivation.. Its guilt too!

Well, the best answers came to me from The Secret, to do with my own self guilt at failing to keep to my exercise regime. The Secret, first empowered me by making me realise that 'I am only human' and 'I should have compassion and forgiveness for myself', (as well as for others).

If you cannot forgive yourself for your own indiscretions and have compassion for your own plight of time restrictions and demands in other areas of your life, like family and friends, life and domestication's of shopping, paying bills, being DADS TAXI SERVICE, (yea, is that a big one in your book too)?

You feel you have to simply resign yourself to life. But, does it have to end this way?

No! - There are enough hours in the day. Sure, it sometimes means giving up some things you usually do, like watching the £100,000 a year life-stealer, abbreviated to "TV"!

Television, I admit, I watch too much. Star Trek, CSI, Self-Build-Progs & Home Improvement, My Wife and Kids, Films - (big film fan). Wild-Life and Nature Programmes, Educational - and kids programmes with my two youngest boys. etc.

I have an excuse, in that I work from home, so I have the TV on from about 4pm when I get home with the kids from the school-run.

I often work late into the night anyway, (like), its 23.54 UK GMT now, sat writing this and watching The Blues Brothers on UK TV.

I don't need to see it, I've seen it several times before, its just an iconic film!

Anyway - I could turn off if I needed to concentrate. (Honest).

My Exercise Regime.
So WHEN do I exercise? The best time is first thing in the morning, 5 or 6am if I've have enough sleep. I sleep about 4 to 6 hours and that fits in great with my work and family commitments.

Why tell you this? Well, if I can show you, that I can find the time to exercise, so can you! I have a minimum number of sessions I try to stick to of 3 a week, but usually I exercise everyday.

Every day is the key! It comes down to habit. If you get into the habit of exercise, like a ritual, it becomes a natural part of your day, like breakfast, or getting washed. It becomes a necessity!

I find, once I get started, I start to think of all the other things I have to do that day, but I use that time to think and plan now, rather than like in past times, I've had to stop and cut short my exercise session to get on with work.

Because I have added more value to this exercise time in my own mind, justifying the added 'quality thinking time' as a bonus, it helps get it done!

Maybe this way of thinking could help with your commitment to exercise?

Exercise AT-HOME!
One of the reasons I started exercising at home was due to available time. It took 30 minutes to drive to the gym, I'd spend 10 minutes getting changed, then a 1.5 to 2 hr session, made up of 20 or 30 minutes cardio - cycle and / or rowing or running m/c, 20 - 30 minute boxercise (or step class with the women).

10 or 20 minutes of each- weights, swimming, sauna, jacuzzi. Then 20 minutes getting showered, dried and dressed after exercise, then 30 minutes back home! Not counting about £12 in petrol and £5 parking. A real waste of time and money! The gym membership was £40 per month.

Now I have no gym membership. I spent the money on home exercise equipment, (not even new - got some real bargains), no-expenses to get there, more time to do exercise, (#which it is what it is all about)!

Another benefit is, I can change, shower in privacy, meditate in a hot bath afterwards, work, listen and learn whilst I exercise and if something needs my attention, (like a phone call comes in), I can get on with business and get back to my exercise straight after I'm done!

The only thing I lack and miss now is the swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi I used to love at the gym!

I also use the home-exercise time to a maximum, by listening to one of my self-development CD's. As well as playing a talk type CD, I also have a music CD playing.

Its not the cacophony of sound you'd imagine, as I can get the balance just right and listen to both, usually exercising to the beat in the music whilst taking in the information on the talk CD. Its easy.. Why not try it for yourself and see..

TIP, If I'm running a CD on my computer, (playing with Windows Media Player), I usually also connect to my BLIP.FM account via the web to get music to play simultaneously. Or you can use two players - I have another MP3/Wav file player software on my PC.

Summary: Forgive yourself for your indiscretions, you are only human! Just restart your commitment and get on with it! Find the time, giving up TV time, even the gym its-self if necessary and exercise at home if you have to.

Stay Fit.
AndyGold.

No comments: